Wedding Gown Shopping Tips for Plus-Size Brides
For any women, going on a wedding gown shopping can be both a daunting and exciting experience. But for a plus-size bride-to-be trapped in a sea of sample-size-eight wedding gowns, it could feel just downright impossible. Shopping for your dream gown, regardless of your shape and size, should never be an unpleasant experience. As a bride, you should never feel forced to settle for something that is less than your dream wedding dress.
For a fulfilling Singapore wedding gown shopping, here is a list of essential shopping tips in a bridal studio especially tailored for our beautifully voluptuous brides-to-be.
1. Don’t quit on your dream wedding gown designer. If you’ve always dreamt of walking down the aisle with a Monique Lhullier or Vera Wang creation, then there’s no reason why you shouldn’t go for it. Most wedding gown designers create gowns that are up to sizes 20 to 24, even if they don’t have plus-size section in their bridal collection. Designers like the beautiful Whitelink bridal studio in Singapore offer custom-made bridal dresses to cater all body types and sizes. Just keep in mind that custom-made wedding dresses are much more expensive than ready-made ones. Also, bigger sizes require more materials; therefore, expect to shell out a few more dollars.
2. Be open and try out different styles of wedding gowns. Just as you shouldn’t allow your shape and size to preclude you from wearing your dream gown, you shouldn’t also let it dictate the style of the gown to wear. Though there are silhouettes that would work better for your shape, you might be surprised with the variety of looks that you can wear and go with. Just a piece of advice, don’t discount any gown styles unless you’ve tried it on.
3. Call or inform your bridal salons beforehand. While the typical sample size for wedding gowns is size eight, some bridal salons in Singapore have dress samples up to size 14. However, call your chosen bridal shop beforehand to see if they can provide you with larger-sized samples.
Don’t worry if the available wedding gowns won’t fit you, there are a couple techniques to gauge how a dress looks on you. You can try wearing a dress just half on to get a preview of how the bottom silhouette would look on your body type. Perhaps, the last resort—and the full-proof choice—is to ask your bridal salon for samples of ball gowns. Ball gowns are always flattering, especially to plus-size ladies, as this silhouette makes the waist look smaller and camouflages the lower torso with its elegant full skirt.
4. Bring and wear your wedding-day undergarments during your fitting. If you plan on wearing a long line corset or a special bra as your undergarment for your gown, then we strongly recommend you to wear them during your fittings. Support garments usually create some changes on the body shape, and you would want to see how these changes look under a wedding gown. This will help you see which style is perfect for you minus the problematic areas.
5. Go with the size that fits the biggest part of your body. You might think that buying a smaller wedding gown at a bridal studio will motivate you to shed some weight before your wedding day; but the truth is, it only adds unnecessary stress to the preparation. Let your consultant get the right body measurements and suggest the right style for you.
Also, remember to always go with the biggest size. If your bust fits in size 12 gowns but your hips sits perfectly at size 18, get the ones in size 18 and just have the parts altered.
6. Shop with your most honest friend. If you’re going to s bridal studio hop with one of your friends, go with someone who will give you unbiased opinions and suggestions. You’d want your shopping buddy to be someone that you can trust and who is willing to listen and support you, but won’t sugar coat things or sway you to make decisions that you’re uncomfortable with.
Dress sizes are just numbers, and it shouldn’t affect you that much when hunting for the perfect bridal dress. Yes, it may require more time and effort, but it’s never impossible to get a hold of that romantic and princess-like wedding dress you’ve always dreamed of.