If you are fond of confections, for sure truffles never missed your attention. When you hear confections, it refers to candies or sweets. In general, it refers to all sweet food. Truffles belong to the chocolate confectionery. Its main ingredients include cocoa powder or chocolate ganache drizzled with diced toasted nuts.
Truffles are easily recognized because of their conical or spherical shape – resembles the tuber fungus. You should know that there are three types of chocolate truffles. Three types of truffles include European, Swiss and American. Here are the specific kinds of truffles that you should know:
- French truffle – French truffle is actually famous even here in Singapore. It is composed of chocolate and cream rolled into nut or cocoa powder.
- Belgian truffle – Belgian truffles are also called praline. It is created with milk or dark chocolate sealed with nut pastes, ganache or buttercream.
- California truffle – The California truffle is the bigger and cumbersome version of French truffle. It was actually brought by Alice Medrich to California from visiting France. It kind of looks a half-egg shape coated with chocolate.
- Swiss truffle – Swiss truffle is a delight because it combines melted chocolate into scorching mixture of butter and cream then poured into the set before dashing it with cocoa powder.
- Vegan truffle – For vegans, this truffle is best. Dairy is replaced with butters and nut.
Now that you know the specific kinds of truffles, it is time that you know where to get the best truffles in the city. There are numerous stores offering truffles but there are only a few who made a mark. You can go to these places and taste it for yourself:
- Café – Many people recommend this because of their truffle shoestring fries not to mention their mojitos. If you want to try, head to #02-09A Palais Renaissance.
- Stranger’s Reunion – Also known for their truffle fries, Stranger’s Reunion is a good place to hand out with friends while enjoying good foods. Their iced coffee is also a must try not to mention their granola and Greek yogurt. Head to 33/35/37 Kampong Bahru Road for a taste.
- Symmetry – Truffle fries are a winner here but Symmetry is also offering brunch which is also good. Address is 9 Jalan Kubor #01-01.
- Casa Tartuf – This is an Italian restaurant but is famous for their wide selections of truffles. As if it is not enough, you can also indulge in T-bone steaks and pasta. Address is at 33 Erskine Road.
- Little Diner – Aside from truffle fries, the diner also offers burgers and according to many, the best and tastiest burger in the city. The address is at 789 Bukit Timah Road.
07 Oct 2016